Thursday, January 22, 2009

When the red man can get ahead, man

Though I'm probably not the biggest fan of public prayer, per se, I did enjoy Rev. Lowery's benediction prayer. And, of course, many right-wing *enter your choice of adjectives* have jumped on this and claimed it was racist. Really? I mean, where is the racism?? I thought the ending of the prayer was sweet and timely, adding a bit of humor to a serious issue.

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around ... when yellow will be mellow ... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen."

Come on, give me a break. Race isn't the bohemoth it used to be, to be certain, but it is definitely still an issue. And I think you can only truly appreciate that if you're not white. Sorry, am I being racist? Or just honest? "When white will embrace what is right." Not every white person is racist, not every black person has been a victim of overt racism. But there are undercurrents to the words and actions of people in this country. Let's not fool ourselves. How can we continue to make progress if we don't acknowledge the problems?

I was particulary glad that native americans, indians, the red man were mentioned. Native Americans have gotten the short end of the stick, so to speak, continually and without fail. To this day, conditions on many reservations are dismal. I think it a great tragedy that fairly nothing is being done to remedy certain issues that are relevant to native americans.

So, people, let's keep an open mind. Let's acknowledge, and then move on. I've had enough apathy from people to last me a million lifetimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment